Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Film Violence

One thing I have found interesting about this film is that some people seem to condemn movie violence no matter what context it's in or what truth it shows. And I thought the "turn the tv off" parents portion of the article was too true. And I disagree with that concept completely. I think in this day and age, too many parents are like that. I think parents should try to let their kids see whatever they want, and be able to decide for themselves what is appropriate.

Another thing I found interesting was others praised violence in films as long as it was shown in proper context. An example is Saving Private Ryan, which is personally one of my favorite movies, precisely for that reason. Especially the D-day scene where it shows troops storming the beach. You can see men all around getting mowed down, and mens' guts laying out which portrays the true horror and chaos of war.

The third thing I found interesting about this article, and also particularly truthful was that people sometimes take liberties and put violence in for violence sake. One particular example of this was a movie I watched last night that was on TV called "Lake Death" that dealt with issues of incest and murder, and inbreeding. There wasn't really anything particularly meaningful about this movie. In fact it was very poorly made, and the actors didn't do a very good job or play a very convincing role. Also the fact that I didn't care about what happened to the characters, and didn't care who lived and died showed that the story was poorly made. I do think that many cheap horror films are made that way, so that the viewer simply wants more characters to be killed off in incredibally bloody ways.

My personal view is that movies should be able to take the liberty to put violence and gore into movies. But only if it is truely neccessary to the story. For instance Saving Private Ryan would be a completely pointless and ineffective film had it not been as intense as it was, and not shown the true horrors of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment